at the Yoga Center of Nashville
Friday - 6-8pm
Saturday - 9am-12pm, 2-5pm
Sunday - 9:30am-12:30pm, 2-5pm
One parent may accompany their teen with scoliosis for free.
This workshop is intended for both yoga students and teachers.
Friday Spinal Anatomy and Physiology for Back Care and Scoliosis
Saturday YOGA FOR BACK CARE
Deborah will teach a direct approach to relief and awareness addressing types of chronic back pain and alignment issues such as disc herniation,
spondylolisthesis, swayback, whiplash and kyphosis. The Yoga poses practiced in this workshop with a specific focus can be the key to
alleviating pain and creating more balance in the body. This workshop is for students of all levels who wish to work on any issues related to
pain and discomfort in the back and for teachers wishing to learn more about how to work with these issues:
• Spinal Anatomy (Sagital curves)
• Physiology of such back issues as: disc herniation and other disc issues, kyphosis, lordosis, spondylolisthesis, sciatica, neck and shoulder issues
• Physiology of degenerative bone diseases: osteoporosis, arthritis
• Muscular issues
• How to “see” and correct postural problems and return to neutral curves of the spine
• Defining and describing pain
• Asana and modifications for acute back issues and pain
• Asana and modifications for chronic back issues and pain
Sunday YOGA FOR SCOLIOSIS
Deborah will introduce participants to the structure of the spine, the anatomy of scoliosis and how it affects one’s physiology and health. Yoga asanas and principles of sequencing will be practiced and modified for different curvatures and pain issues. Participants will learn how to develop a yoga practice which specifically addresses their own patterns and needs using awareness and alignment.
• Defining scoliosis and asymmetry through spinal anatomy
• Understanding and “seeing” lateral asymmetry and rotation
• How scoliosis affects spatial and balance issues
• How scoliosis affects the nervous system and can create jointissues and pain
• Asana to realign and connect with the limbs.
• Asana and breath techniques to create awareness, relieve pain, balance the nervous system and possibly stabilize the curves themselves.
Deborah Wolk, ERYT500 is Co-Director of the Yoga Union Center For Backcare & Scoliosis.
Having practiced yoga since 1994, Deborah found that specifically practicing alignment-based yoga could control back pain and arrest the progression of her scoliosis. That awareness inspired her to complete Alison West’s Yoga Union Teacher Training in 2000. Deborah then studied Yoga and Scoliosis with Bobbie Fultz, completed Karin Stephan's Advanced Studies Program in Therapeutics and Healing in 2003 and was certified as a Yoga for Scoliosis trainer through Elise Browning Miller's teacher training in 2005. She studied in Pune with the Iyengars in 2007 and has studied intensively with Genny Kapuler and Donald Moyer for over a decade.
Since 2002 Deborah has taught Yoga & Scoliosis workshops in New York City, nationwide and in Europe.
Founded in 2007; Deborah and Alison West Co-Direct the Yoga Union Center for Backcare and Scoliosis in NYC. Deborah teaches a wide variety of classes for students with back problems and scoliosis.She created and taught the first classes ever for teens with scoliosis and for students with Harrington Rods and other spinal fusions and surgeries.
Deborah can be reached by email at dwolkYoga@gmail.com or by calling 917-826-9712. To learn more about Deborah, please visit yogaunionbackcare.com
For questions or more information about the workshop please contact Kathleen O'Sullivan at 917-400-2175
Directions: The Yoga Center of Nashville 2822 Columbine Place Nashville, TN 37204
The Yoga Center of Nashville is located in Berry Hill at 2822 Columbine Place (just across Thompson Lane from 100 Oaks Mall) the studio is fully equipped with mats, blocks, straps, blankets, and yoga ropes.
Click on PayPal button below to reserve your spot .